[whatwg] Comments on Web Forms 2.0 Working Draft

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jun 22 13:12:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:

> It would be too often in any situation where there are three or more
> variables competing for a shared resource. If there were two, you could
> automatically adjust the one that wasn't being altered to match; but if
> there's three or more you can't.

I think you're confusing "validation" with "complaining to the user that
the form is invalid". The latter only happens on submission.

Validation is just keeping the internal state up to date, so that CSS and
scripts can do what they want.

> Ideally UAs should be able to display all error messages at once,
> under/beside the relevant control(s) in the page itself, like current
> forms validated server-side do. Displaying a stream of alert boxes would
> be a degradation from that.

Well you could easily do that:

  <label>
   Foo:
   <input name="foo" oninput="fooError.value = validationMessage" .../>
   <output name="fooError"/>
  </label>

...for each control you wish to have a message next to.

The spec has been updated to take your concerns about the validation UI
into account. Let me know if there are remaining problems.