[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Substantive - Section 2.1.2

Mark Schenk css at markschenk.com
Wed Jun 23 03:33:45 PDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:55:52 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net> wrote:

> 2.1.2. Precision
> ----------------
>
> # If the author specified step is too small for the UA to handle (for
> example,
> # 1e-9999999 would probably underflow most implementations) then the UA
> should
> # treat the value as any.
>
> You need to define what happens when step="0". Also, what happens if I
> specify a negative number?

Good point. It could be solved by specifiying "step" as any number >0. A
borderline case would then be formed by stepsizes which are rounded off to
zero (e.g. 1e-99999), but that is already covered by the spec:

# If the author specified step is too small for the UA to handle (for
# example, 1e-9999999 would probably underflow most implementations)
# then the UA should treat the value as any.

However, given that explanation, you could also define step as any number
>=0 and define step="0" to be the same as step="any". You could even drop
the "any" this way, although many authors might find it easier to
understand than step="0".

--
Mark