[whatwg] Re: Suggestion for Menus in Web Forms 2.0

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:36:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:33:05 +0100, Malcolm Rowe
<malcolm-what at farside.org.uk> wrote:
> Jim Ley writes:
> > javascript is not an acceptable solution for the legacy UA's,
> (Just so we're clear - I agree with that bit)
>
> > server-side processing of the form perhaps, but mandating a server and
> > HTTP for WF2 forms is I think inappropriate, not all HTML usage has a
> > server for navigation.
>
> But not this bit. What on earth are you going on about?
>
> WF2 is an extension for *forms*. If you're using HTML4 forms, you almost
> certainly have a server to submit the data to. Ditto for WF2.

No, since most people use popup menus that use the <A> element -
something which doesn't require a server (they work perfectly well
with the file protocol etc.)  the WF2 proposal above required a server
handler to degrade to non-HTTP clients unlike DHTML options.  (styling
UL lists of A elements etc.)

Jim.