[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Editorial [minor] Section 6

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Thu Jun 24 08:08:40 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, fantasai wrote:
>
>>6.2. Seeding a form with initial values
>>---------------------------------------
>>
>># If a select element has a data attribute, it must be a URI that points to a
>># well-formed XML file whose root element is a select element in the
>># http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace. The MIME type must be an XML MIME
>># type [RFC3023], preferably application/xml. It should not be
>># application/xhtml+xml since the root element is not html.
>>#
>># UAs must process this file if it has an XML MIME type [RFC3023], if it is a
>># well-formed XML file, and if the root element is the right root element in
>># the right namespace. If any of these conditions are not met, UAs must act as
>># if the attribute was not specified, although they may report the error to the
>># user. UAs are expected to correctly handle namespaces, so the file may use
>># prefixes, etc.
>>
>>These two paragraphs should be merged and
>>
>>   UAs must process this file if it has an XML MIME type [RFC3023], if it is a
>>   well-formed XML file, and if the root element is the right root element in
>>   the right namespace. If any of these conditions are not met, UAs must act
>>
>>replaced with
>>
>>   UAs must process this file if and only if these conditions are met. If they
>>   are not met, UAs must act
>>
>>There's no reason to state the requirements twice.
>

> The problem is the requirements aren't _quite_ the same. In particular,
> authors SHOULD not use application/xhtml+xml, but UAs MUST process the
> file if it is (since it is an RFC3023-compliant type).
>
> How exactly would you phrase this?

What I wrote. s/conditions/requirements/, maybe. If the file is sent as
application/xhtml+xml, it still meets the conditions set forth in that
paragraph, though it doesn't follow all the recommendations.

If you really want, you could change the paragraph to say that
   It should not be >(but could be)< application/xhtml+xml

ok?

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact