[whatwg] Re: repeat element/pi

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Thu Jun 24 11:57:59 PDT 2004

Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:

>> (but i think the <repeat> tag should be a PI ;-)
>

> Why should it be a PI? I think that will be (far) more difficult to
> understand. Nobody knows about PI's in the real world, people do know
> about elements.
>
> I'm not sure about the name <repeat> though. It doesn't really add
> semantic value to the document imho, but maybe forms are just different.

mostly because i see this being implemented by a lot by servers instead
of the intended UAs.

but also, other elements have names that are nouns; "paragraph",
"anchor", "image" etc. "repeat" is a verb (although it can also be used
a noun). "repeat" seems more like an instruction than a thing. i don't
have terribly strong feelings about it though... ;-)

-dean