[whatwg] Re: input element types

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Thu Jun 24 16:17:58 PDT 2004

Mike Shaver wrote:

>Many, many uses of time-controls have these annotations; all day for
>events, Morning/Afternoon/Evening, Any, etc.  If, say, 80% of the
>time-entry widgets on the web are going to have to be custom anyway,
>do we get a lot of value out of specifying -- and browser developers
>out of implementing -- a time input type?

I'm not sure what proportion of time (or datetime) widgets would contain
'pseudo-times' like those mentioned. I suspect that it would be much
lower than the 80% figure, though.

Datetimes are likely to be used to record events, or set reminders, I
would have thought. While something like an 'appointment' is likely to
have an 'all day' option, I'd guess it would be handled just like
Outlook does it at the moment: as a separate checkbox that changes the
start/end times from 'datetime' type to 'date' type.

In this context, I don't think browser developers are that important
(sorry!); but you're right to ask whether there's any value for the end
user. I'm sure Ian has use cases for a 'time' type, though I'll confess
I can't think of any obvious ones.

Ian: this seems to be a recurring theme; could you possibly publish a
short summary of the use cases for each of the new WF2 features? It
seems like a lot of the use cases have only been discussed privately.

Regards,
Malcolm