[whatwg] Re: repeat element/pi

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 02:55:16 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:05:33 +0100, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:
>
> >> mostly because i see this being implemented by a lot by servers
> >> instead of the intended UAs.
>
> you could still dynamically maintain a table (for example) client-side
> and deliver the initial repeated rows from the server.

Yep, generally in downlevel clients when I've done this, I've always
prepopulated 5 or 10 or so (depending on the situation and how many
are likely to be added) on the server, and called back with a
submission to add another 10.  This runs into the problem though of
needing to know that you have a downlevel client and not a WF2 one, or
a script supported legacy.  (previously I had the "add" button there
always but overridden with the client behaviour for add 1 client side,
rather than add 5 server - I can't see how WF2 solves this.)

>  this might
> benefit a legacy browser like IE which would be slow to generate 20 or
> 30 rows in the client.

Surprising, I've never seen this, indeed it's generally been faster
than other UA's - it does depend on your methods of creation of
course.

Jim.