[whatwg] Comments on Web Forms 2.0 Working Draft

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 25 06:12:27 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Dean Edwards wrote:

> to clarify this. does this mean that a control must constantly maintain
> it's "public" validity property? or that it should keep a "public" and
> "private" validity? where CSS settings are determined by the "private"
> value.

Validity affects the following things:

  * All the time: whether ":invalid" matches the control

  * On DOM request: the value of the "validity" DOM attribute and its
    related DOM attributes like "validationMessage".

  * On submission: whether or not to report a problem.

Off-hand I can't think of anything that is affected by the validation
stuff,. Does that answer your question?