[whatwg] several mail addresses in input type email?

Anne van Kesteren (fora) fora at annevankesteren.nl
Fri Jun 25 12:16:41 PDT 2004

> Sometimes (and maybe more often than not, e.g. webmail!) one would
> want to allow a list of E-mail addresses rather than only one in an
> INPUT type="email". The spec doesn't discuss this as far as I can
> see. Would it be better to allow this explicitly, stating that UAs
> should be able to validate a comma- or semicolon-separated list of
> mail addresses and that authors who wish to limit the field to only
> one may specify a pattern to limit it? Something like
> pattern=".*@[^@]*" would mean the input could only be valid if the
> field contained one and only one @ sign.

This is basically being discussed for "select editable", but no solution
has been found that suits all needs,

  - backwards compatible
  - forward compatible
  - implementable
  - semantic

and therefore there hasn't been looked into this yet I suppose. Having a
comma separated list might work, but is probably too technical for most
users.

> Thoughts? Which is in your opinion more common, type=email-single or
> type=email-multiple?

Single. Just see all the weblogs, login forms etc.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>