[whatwg] Suggestion: "context" attribute

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 13:14:43 PDT 2004

Jim Ley wrote:
> Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>   <input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">
>
> So it's okay for it to degrade harmlessly to always being visible in
> non CSS UA's?

    Are we talking about the context attribute or the fact that WF2
templates aren't supposed to be visible? The only thing that isn't
currently in the WF2 spec is my example is the context attribute alone.
Perhaps this is an issue with the Web Forms 2.0 spec. It may be that we
need a way to prevent legacy UAs from rendering templates in general.

> I'm not sure of the use cases, is it just for tooltip
> type hints on form elements?

    This is for context menus (although the way this works is actually
significantly more flexible than that), so for the Windows platform, you
could have to right-click or press that little context menu button to
get this. I think there's already an attribute in HTML for basic
tooltips, so I'm not sure how useful a new attribute for that would be.