[whatwg] <output> and onforminput

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 25 13:37:25 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>>> I don't understand the relevance
>>
>> You said HTML4+ECMAScript was backwards-compatible with Lynx.
>>
>> GMail uses HTML4+ECMAScript.
>>
>> Logically therefore, you must think that GMail works with Lynx.
>
> What complete gibberish, maybe a course in elementary logic would
> help.  The technology is backwards compatible, it doesn't mean every
> single usage is (just like HTML+CSS doesn't necessarily degrade if you
> abuse CSS positioning. )

Exactly. As it is with Web Forms 2.

> Right, could you put up some screenshots and a decent description of
> that, I'm really struggling for a use case for this feature!  (and I've
> asked lots !!)

Come now Jim, I've given you at least half a dozen use cases by now.

Here's an ASCII art example of a form that would use datetime:

   |  Start time: [ Wednesday at 3pm          ]  |
   |  End time:   [ Wednesday at 3:45pm       ]  |
   |                               (( Submit ))  |