[whatwg] Re: Is this introducing incompatibilities with future W3C work

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Fri Jun 25 17:50:23 PDT 2004

This is actually not quite true.  There are a number of features that
don't "just work" when you make a switchover to XML, and in fact the
set is so non-trivial that I don't think you should gloss over this so
readily.  In general both Mozilla and Safari's application/xml+xhtml
support lags substantially behind their text/html support.  Neither
browser can even render XHTML incrementally for example (last time I
checked at least).

Some other examples are features like .innerHTML, DOM serialization,
and contenteditable.  HTML elements have all sorts of situations where
code that is written to handle HTML streams or HTML editing concepts
has to change to deal with XML streams etc.

dave