[whatwg] Re: Transition from Legacy to Native rendering

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 18:19:46 PDT 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:07:01 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> Please refrain from such offensive language in this mailing list.

I'm sorry, but that's not offensive language where I come from, I will
try and take your sensibilities on board though.

> I have no interest in debating the adequacy of IE's HTC technology,

but it's highly relevant to the discussion we're having where IE
support is a key theme in WF2.

> but
> note that as Dean pointed out, Microsoft use them extensively on their own
> corporate Web site.

I'm not really able to find them on any recent MS page.

> It is trivial to detect WinIE in JS. (It is even easier to conditionally
> load HTCs only in IE. But that's another story.)

Oh right, great what tech do you use?  even the conditional comment
method is flawless but that's getting pretty obscure.  In any case
detecting IE is not enough, we need to detect an IE that doesn't
support WF2 (remember I can implement WF2 on top of IE easily enough,
I'm even considering it if the spec evolves into something I'm happy
with.)

> > Could you also list where the behaviour is outlawed, and in which
> > specification?
>
> DOM2 HTML lists the members one should see on HTMLParagraphElement
> instances. "bogusattribute" is not one of them.

IE makes no claims to support DOM2 HTML in its hasFeature
implementation, so what that spec says is irrelevant to it's or any
other non DOM2 browser.  In any case 1.6.1 of DOM 2 HTML seems to make
it pretty clear that HTML attributes map directly to properties, the
only argument is if attributes defined elsewhere than HTML 4.01 or
XHTML 1.0 should apply, and I believe clearly that they should since
it makes clear sense to (obviously the DOM 2 HTML warning on
interopability needs to apply, but we'll always have that when we're
working with extensions.)

Jim.