[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 comments

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Sat Jun 26 03:09:41 PDT 2004

On 26 Jun 2004 at 10:31, Sander wrote:

> The main reason for this is found in content management systems (as I
> create them), where roughly up to 95% of all input elements will
> potentially contain user-submitted data. Always in the value attribute
> of course.

I think I'm missing something here. What is the use case for ever
processing the "value" attribute to parse it for [id] - type things -
could it not be excluded by default?

In fact I can not think of any reason to ever process anything except
"name", "id" and "template" attributes. I don't have as much
experience with writing and processing template/repeat functionality
as Ian and yourself. If there is an obvious reason why one would want
to insert a repetition block index into a "value" attribute please
enlighten me.

> Let's see - related to this, I've seen a proposal floating by to not do
> [id]-replacement at all. I strongly oppose that. Right now I can drop in
> the template, <repeat> elements and add/remove buttons in pretty much all
> applications where I'd want to use them, to vastly simplify the
> client-side code, and I wouldn't have to change a single line of the
> backend. It fits perfectly.

Did you see my alternative "autoname" attribute suggestion?

--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
hallvors at online.no / www.hallvord.com