[whatwg] internationalization/localization

Pete Harlow peter.harlow at thales-transportservices.com
Tue Jun 29 07:57:11 PDT 2004

When it comes to forms and internationalisation, there are a few good
points to watch. From experience:

I am filling in a form on a UK web site. I live in France. How do I fill
in the phone number, and how is it validated? First try - +33 etc. The
non numeric character is thrown out. Second try - not enough digits in
the raw French number. Leave blank - no good, mandatory field.

Dates in Europe are often written 2004-06-29, but not always, but never
the US way.

If that doesn't break the validation, the accented characters in my
address will.

And so on. Where does the zip/post code go?

What would you deduce from the lang attribute of this mail??

Most of these problems can be avoided if the form and the validation
code it runs are carefully designed, but frequently the points above are
not considered, and may be quite obscure to a web designer in one
culture designing a form that will be used in others. It is a tall
order, but I wonder if a structure can be devised that will assist a
form designer in taking these aspects into account?

Regards,

Pete.

Max Romantschuk wrote:
> Gytis Jakutonis wrote:
>
>> is there any ideas how to handle localization issues in web apps?
>
> [...]
>
> The lang attribute by any chance?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1
>
> With better CSS support, attribute selecors and alternative style sheets
> one could probably cook something up.
>
> I'd still keep to server side or separate pages though.
>
> .max

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed,
copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Thales, its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete
transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.