[whatwg] Re: internationalization/localization

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 05:07:05 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:08:24 +0100 (CET), Peter Karlsson <peter at opera.no> wrote:
> Pete Harlow on 2004-06-30:
> [Accept-Language]
> > en,fr;q=0.8,en-gb;q=0.5,fr-fr;q=0.3
> >
> > which I take to mean
> >
> > 'Send English if you have it, otherwise French, by the way, if you have it and
> > you are sending English British English would be best, and likewise French
> > French...'
>
> You have it slightly backwards. en will include en-gb, not the
> opposite, which means that your en-gb and fr-fr rules will never be
> checked.

Er, I don't see where it says that with equal q values the order of
the appearances should be used?  Whilst implementations may do this
(if en and en-gb are equal quality on the server too) I don't believe
there's anything wrong with the above saying that en and en-gb are of
equal quality, and it's certainly wrong to say that en-gb will never
be checked.  (consider a server believing it's en had a quality of 0.9
and en-gb a quality of 1, it will trivially give en-gb not en in that
scenario, whereas without the en-gb it would give en)

Jim.