[whatwg] internationalization/localization

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 30 08:22:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> I thought I'd already started putting to bed the myth that the user has
> accurate clocks.

Accurate clocks aren't required; it's just the time zone that matters.
And if that's wrong then fine, the user should do the corrections in his
head when setting the clock just like he should when reading his
platform's clock. I really don't think that is anywhere near as big a
problem as you suggest. (Incidentally I just remembered that HTTP pretty
much depends on an accurate clock anyway, so really UAs should have
accurate clocks.)

But in any case, we've added local-datetime for the cases where the author
prefers to guess the timezone himself instead of having the UA guess it.