[whatwg] Incremental rendering of forms

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Nov 12 05:51:56 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:37:47 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> > Here's an example:
> >
> >   http://whatwg.org/demos/multiform-01/
> >
> > It seems to work fine in legacy UAs, but uses the multiple form feature
> > for WF2 UAs, giving users of those UAs better experience.
>
> Oh I missed the part of the specification that limits the forms with
> cloned elements from other forms to being empty, could you point it
> out?

I don't understand the reference to cloned elements here.

However, there is no such restriction as far as I can understand your
question.

> Your example is a restricted example of "elements in other forms"

My example was intended to demonstrate how the feature could be used in
backwards-compatible ways. It is of course quite possible to use most of
the new features in ways that completely break in legacy UAs, for example
one could use any of the new DOM APIs without checking that they are
implemented, and that would not work. If authors _want_ to not support
legacy UAs, then that is obviously up to them. I am merely intending to
make sure that authors are not forced to chose between targetting new UAs
only or old UAs only.