[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

Sander whatwg at juima.org
Fri Nov 12 18:21:40 PST 2004

Laurens Holst wrote:
> That could have been implemented much better with Javascript, which
> wouldn't require you to press ALT with the keys.

And is often disabled. Plus, given the choice between adding one
attribute (and a styling hook), or numerous line of javascript with all
the cross-browser compatibility testing that entails - I know what I
prefer to do.

>>most users probably wouldn't know the
>>functionality existed unless they were told about it, and even then
>>they wouldn't use it most of the time.
>
> Do you think it is different for access keys? They are even more
> useless. Most people have no clue about the existence of access keys,

Based on feedback I've received on just that photo-album - from
completely not computer-oriented people - I'd say that just a visual
indication like that is enough to make them discoverable. Users have no
clue that it's "accesskeys" they're using - but there's an underline
just like in the menu, and they do know (barely) that they can hit
alt-underlined letter to open the menu, so that's enough to get them to
try it.

> and when you do you still have to depend on the page's author to both
> have 1. implemented them, and 2. indicated which keys to use.

1. goes for everything. 2. can be suggested in the spec to be something
the useragent should do. (If not detected to have already been done by
the page author.)

> In any case, the access key should be suggestive, nothing more.

As long as any such suggestions (which do not clash with the useragent)
will work by default for the majority of users and will not have to be
specifically approved, for that is not something the majority of users
will ever do.

Sander