[whatwg] overflow:auto in tbody

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Nov 14 23:07:16 PST 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 01:09, Laurens Holst wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> See the illustration at
>> http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/misc/table-scroll/
>> The first image shows the entire (nested) table. The other images
>> show how the headers and footer would interact with the viewport when
>> scrolling.
>
> Wouldn't this encourage page authors to use tables for page layouts?

It could. However, I think the benefit of having this feature for
displaying tabular data is greater than the trouble it might cause for
anti-layout-table activists.

> Another thing is, is this something the WHATWG should specify, or is
> it just a feature to implement for UA's?

I think the right way to spec it would be as new values for the CSS
'display' property. So I guess www-style would be a better forum than
this list.

> And what in case there are two tables next to eachother which
> partially overlap in the vertically?

Perhaps that should be a condition for disabling the header/footer
stickiness. Why would you make tables with real tabular data overlap?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://iki.fi/hsivonen/