[whatwg] Status bars and progress indicators

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 22 02:57:06 PST 2004

On 22 Nov, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:
>> Well done for requiring a clarification of "in the contents", though:
>> "in the contents (including any alternate text of child elements)".
>> (Example #4792 of why alt= shouldn't have been an attribute in the
>> first place.)
>
> That would be a big pain. I'd rather not deviate from just using
> ..textContent, especially since it is what I have been using in
> multiple other places in the WHATWG specs for this kind of thing.

If UAs don't already return alternate text of child elements as part of
textContent, I suggest filing bugs on those UAs. I see nothing in the
DOM 3 spec saying they shouldn't, and not to do so seems to breach the
spirit of the HTML spec. But you'd know more about that than I do.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/