[whatwg] The state of the papers

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Nov 22 15:30:43 PST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, [iso-8859-2] BÁRTHÁZI András wrote:

> The subject contains my question: what is the state of the papers, when
> will they be a recommendation - and when will be implemented in
> browsers?

"When it's ready" is the standard answer.

In practice, the Web Forms spec is reasonably close to stable (I expect us
to publish one more call for comments once I've finished going through
outstanding comments from the last couple of months, and then having a
call for implementations if there are only a small number of comments
resulting). The Web Apps spec is in active development, but is probably
still several months from stable.

> I've read, that maybe these features will be implemented some of the
> cutting edge browsers like Mozilla family, Opera, Safari in this year.
> Can it be true?

Some of the features are already implemented in some of the browsers. For
example Apple released a beta of their next Safari release a few months
ago, which supports an experimental version of <canvas> from Web Apps and
type="range" from Web Forms. Some of the features have been implemented
for years (XMLHttpRequest, the Window interface). Others are very new, and
it is hard to predict when they will become available on the market.

I would not expect product releases this year to include substantial
features from these drafts.