[whatwg] More thoughts about custom widgets

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 09:18:54 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:02:35 +0100, Olav Junker Kjær <olav at olav.dk> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > Why not just require XBL, what's the point of all this customization,
> > when XBL already has the ability?
>
> My intention was that it should be possible (and relatively easy) to
> write cross-platform widgets which would hook into the WF2
> implementation in any browser that supported WF2.

but as these user agents are all going to be needed to be updated to
support WF2, I really don't see the point - what you propose is
already perfectly possible, but no-one's doing it because it's ugly
and non-trivial to avoid namespace collisions etc.  XBL goes a good
way to solving these issues, it really does seem stupid to do anything
that fills the gap between what we have now and XBL.

Now I realise that applies to 90% of WF2, it's filling a gap, but this
doesn't seem to be a sensible gap to fill, requiring XBL would be a
much more logical step.

> Cross-browser basically means vanilla javascript (and DOM level 0.5) -
> no htc, xbl, scriptlets or other browser-specific extension mechanisms,
> as cool as they may be.

What iis a DOM level 0.5 ?

Jim.