[whatwg] data: scheme in form submission

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Fri Nov 26 08:05:30 PST 2004

On 25 Nov 2004 at 17:48, Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> I don't at all understand the use of the "data:" scheme used as action
> as described i section 5.6.2.
>
> Maybe a more realistic example would help?

I'm not sure what the use case for this is either. :-)

It might be a way to let a script get access to and process a form
submission without it actually being submitted but if this is a use
case the spec may have to say explicitly that JavaScripts should be
able to access data: URIs created by the JavaScript's own origin
page, or something to that effect. Some browsers might be "too
secure" for such a use case and deny the script access to the data:
address because the protocols are different.
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/