[whatwg] link-types

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 08:36:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:23:55 +0200, Anne van Kesteren
<fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
> > I thought the WHAT-WG were standardising mark-up languages and DOM's
> > - are you proposing that they also standardise user agent behaviour
> > and design?  I think this is unnecessay, and counterproductive to the
> >  richness required in UA's to fulfill different communities needs.
>
> I was saying, with an example, that the WHATWG should not exclude doing
> something special for the A element with a REL attribute.

So what exactly is your proposal about "SHOULD create a menubar" etc.
?  That was how I understood the initial proposal in the thread -
specifying user agent behaviour.

Personally I'm very much against this, the LINK data currently
contains metadata about the page, so there's no reason to expect it to
be rendered, the proposed change will make it just content if it has
to be rendered IMO, this means that in all likelyhood users will
either duplicate content - generally bad, or not include the LINK
content inline and therefore harm all legacy clients.

I don't personally find LINK menus in the slightest bit useful (and
yes I run IE, but yes I also have link menus - well rarely these days,
as I say they're not useful.)  Some people do, but to require (even
only with a SHOULD) is IMO over the top specification of UA behaviour,
HTML should not be about the rendering!

Jim.