[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 5 17:36:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Joe Gregorio wrote:

> > >     "If the specified method is not one of get, post,
> > >      put, or delete then it is treated as *post* in the tables
> > >      below."
> >
> > I agree. Sadly, doing this would break compatibility with existing
> > implementations, which all treat unknown values as "get".
>
> Would that really 'break' anything? If that is the default behaviour
> today then clients would expect not to be able to send a request body
> with a method outside POST and PUT. Adding that capability won't break
> their code, will it?

If anyone has a form that says:

   <form method="ge">

...then at the moment it'll be treated as GET. If you change the default
to "post", it'll no longer be treated as GET.

I really don't feel comfortable changing things that all browsers do. If
all the browsers interoperate on something, we should celebrate that thing
and leave it well alone... It's so rare...