[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 5 20:07:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > > Not in a conforming SGML parser...
> >
> > Yeah, I meant in browsers, not per SGML.
>
> Ok, fair enough.  But can you explain why Opera doesn't when in
> standards- compliant mode, as I explained in my previous e-mail.  Is it
> a bug or intentional?

Bug.

> Ok, if the spec is going to address this, then I think it should say
> something like:
>
>   "If a required element with an optional start-tag is entirely missing
>    from the document, a user agent *may* imply it and include it within
>    the DOM.  Missing elements with required start-tags *must not* be
>    automatically implied.
>
>   "Note: It is common for existing user agents to automatically imply
>    both the head and body elements, even when those sections are omitted
>    entirely from the document markup."

I'll investigate this in more detail when I write the section on how to
parse HTML. Backwards-compatibility with the common subset of what is
actually implemented is my top priority though.

> I used "may", because if "must" or "should" were used instead, it may
> conflict with anything the SGML spec says on the matter and it would
> make OpenSP, and thus the validator, non-conformant.  I would stick with
> "may" because, as I showed previously, existing UAs don't do the same
> for <tbody>.

OpenSP is already non-conformant to HTML5. See:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#conformance

In any case, assuming I'm still the editor when the parsing section gets
written, HTML5 will most likely stop the pretense of HTML being an SGML
application.

> Also, while on the topic of handling invalid documents, is this spec

Probably not, as there is no generally accepted solution. In fact there is
no known solution (to my knowledge) that is entirely satisfactory.

> > since an HTML4 document without a <title> is invalid and thus parsing
> > is undefined in HTML4.
>
> Is it not defined by SGML either?  I really must get a copy of
> Goldfarb's SGML Handbook later and check for sure.

SGML doesn't define error handling rules either as far as I recall from
the last time I read Goldfarb. But either way, HTML4 overrides SGML in
several places and explicitly states that handling of invalid HTML
documents is undefined and UA-dependent. (Well, actually, it's about as
vague about this as about everything else. But relative to how explicit it
is about everything else, it's pretty clear about this.)