[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Wed Apr 6 03:58:35 PDT 2005

Jim Ley wrote:
> This is clearly an example of how existing browsers are
> non-conformant,

Doing otherwise would result in a lot of broken pagges and probably less
market share for the browser.

> and simply making it conformant just blesses browsers in the future
> to continue violating specs safe in the knowledge that the spec will
> get changed to suit them, rather than the reverse.

I don't think that is true. Although specifications will evolve when
they get feedback that particular sections just don't work.

> Exactly what's happened with CSS, do we really want to do it with
> HTML too?

I guess. As we can't really change the behavior of HTML anymore on
todays web. We can standardize it though so that the results you get are
not "huh",  but explainable.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>