[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Wed Apr 6 04:39:54 PDT 2005

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Validators should not be
> non-conformant simply because they only do their job to validate a
> document and nothing else.  I don't see any reason why such a statement
> needs to be included at all.

I like the requirement!
The intention is (I assume) to prevent validators to claim "this
document is valid HTML5" while the document might very well be invalid
according to the spec.

The problem is that validators use the term "valid" in a very limited
sense, but web authors without a through understanding of DTD-validation
would naturally assume that "valid" would mean "valid according to the
spec".

regards
Olav Junker Kjær