[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings and other threads

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Apr 6 05:45:07 PDT 2005

[Redirected to whatwg at whatwg.org. According to the mail headers in the
message I received, you sent it to www-style at w3.org. I can't find it in
the archives of either www-style nor whatwg, though.]

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> If <address> applies only to the element it's in,
> some duplication may be needed:
>
> My articles on my page:
> 	<article>
> 		<address>me!</address>
> 	</article>
> 	<article>
> 		<address>me!</address>
> 	</article>
> 	<address>me!</address>
>
> I think best would be <address for=IDREFS>

I don't really understand. Why would you want to give the contact
information for the inner articles if it is the same as for the section
that contains them? The inner <article>s are part of the <body>. Contact
information for the <body> applies to the whole <body>.

> Is text in <header> part of an article?

Sure, any element that is a descendant of an <article> is part of that
<article>, even if it is also part of something else (such as a <header>).

> Is the following correct use of <header>?
>
> <article class="breakingNews">
> 	<header>
> 		<h1>Something!</h1>
> 	</header>
> </article>

Seems reasonable to me.

> How about inline <aside>?
> For inline comments, explanations, translators notes, etc.

<aside> is for what are typically rendered in printed media as floating
sidebars. Short inline comments are catered for by the "title" attribute:

  drive</span></p>

...or, more typically, simply by marking the comment with parentheses, as
you did in your example: