[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings and other threads

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Apr 6 07:33:14 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> > I don't really understand. Why would you want to give the contact
> > information for the inner articles if it is the same as for the
> > section that contains them? The inner <article>s are part of the
>
> "The article element represents a section of a page that consists of a
> composition that forms an independent part of a document"
>
> I assumed that because of this independence it needs its own <address>
> element.

Ah, hmm. Ok, added:

   Note: An article element is "independent" in that its contents could
   stand alone, for example in syndication. However, the element is still
   associated with its ancestors; for instance, contact information that
   applies to a parent body element still covers the article as well.

> > <aside> is for what are typically rendered in printed media as
> > floating sidebars. Short inline comments are catered for by the
> > "title" attribute:

> >   drive</span></p>
>
> Title attribute is not immediately visible on page and requires reader
> to pause and wait for it to appear.

Where does the spec say that? There is nothing in the spec that requires
that "title" attributes be rendered as tooltips. It is entirely up to the
UA and the author's styling hints what it looks like. For instance with
CSS an author could do:

   [title]:after { content: '(' attr(title) ')'; }

> > ...or, more typically, simply by marking the comment with parentheses,
> > as you did in your example:

> I think good use of aside element is possiblity to 'clean up' articles
> from comments:
>
>   article aside {display: none;}
>
> This also may be useful for search engines - they could omit <aside> in
> quoted page fragments.
>
> That element could play role as opposite of <em> and <strong>.

I imagine we'll be using <small> for this purpose in due course.