[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:48:34 PDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 9:22 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Jim Ley wrote:
> >
> > From which you can clearly conclude I do use DTD validation as part of
> > my QA process.  All the people who have said that DTD validation is
> > absolutely useless haven't bothered to describe their QA processes at
> > all.
>
> Nobody is stopping anyone from using DTDs.

If it's not an SGML applicaiton, you most certainly are.

However, the main issue, is How are people going to ensure they're
producing valid WHAT-WG documents?  Your proposal is to throw away all
the existing QA resources and leave a user with none, unless they
happen to have the time and the resources to understand a lot of dense
prose and author a DTD from it.  Something which very few people are
going to be able to do.

So I'll ask once again, how do the WHAT-WG believe authors of WHAT-WG
documents will produce conformant ones?

Jim.