[whatwg] [WA1] Specifying Character Encoding

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sat Apr 9 02:28:54 PDT 2005

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Perhaps it should be explicitly stated that text/xml should not be
> used, with a reference to the webarch recommendation.

Should not does not forbid it. Also, WHATWG shouldn't say anything about
the MIME type you MUST use for XML IMHO. An update for RFC 3023 is in
process which deprecates text/xml, but still not forbids it. So WHATWG
shouldn't make assumptions about that IMHO.

>>> I think it should also be noted that authors who omit the XML
>>> declaration (or include it but don't specify the encoding
>>> attribute) *must* use UTF-8 or UTF-16, as described in the XML
>>> recommendation.
>>
>> Where did you read that in the XML specification?
>
> Appendix F.1. states [1]:

Appendix F, as a whole, is non-normative.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>