[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 12 02:31:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > We haven't discussed it yet. I hadn't really thought about it but given:

> >    <blockcode> ... </blockcode>

>   pre>code:only-child { display: block; }

Hm? Why?

> > I think we'll probably be "stuck" with HTML for a very long time -- at
> > least as long as it takes for XML to have a variant created that has
> > well-defined error handling rules other than the author-hostile "abort
> > processing immediately".
>
> I don't understand what's wrong with the XML error handling.  I think
> it's great because errors should be caught and handled during the
> authoring process and by the CMS, which XML essentially forces.

Many people feel that a minor typo in their document should not cause
their page to stop rendering altogether. I have spoken with a _lot_ of
authors who really do not like XML's draconian error handling, including
many authors who are always ensuring their documents are valid.

I myself have occasionally made typos and other mistakes that, if I had
used XML, would have left my site unusable, without my knowledge, for
several hours at a time.

Personally I don't have a strong opinion; so long as the error handling is
defined I don't really mind if it is draconian or error recovery.