[whatwg] [html5] 2.6.1. The a element

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at tu-clausthal.de
Tue Apr 12 12:34:17 PDT 2005

*Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>*:

> So what does an <a> element with no href="" represent? Nothing? Or I
> guess we could make the href="" attribute required.

I frequently use and advice to do navigation lists like this:

(I use 'map', because 'menu' is deprecated, and 'div', because in HTML4S
'map' cannot be a child of 'body'---but let's not get distracted.)

The current page should not link to itself, but for consistency (and
styling) I like to keep the 'a' element instance, just without an 'href'
attribute. Elsewhere I also use 'a' instead of 'span', because it's IMHO
equally meaningful, but shorter. So, no, I don't think 'href' should be
required for 'a'.