Call four comments 4 is out (Was: [whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 submission to W3C)

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 05:10:13 PDT 2005

Dean Jackson wrote:

>>> All of them.
>>

>> That's never going to happen, just like the XHTML working group has
>> never
>> published a document with use cases for all their features.
>> Ditto the SVG group,
>

> The SVG group has published requirements documents for its
> features. So has the CDF Group, which you participate in.
> Sure, the requirements documents don't always get updated as
> often as the specification and they are not completely
> comprehensive, but it does help the reader understand
> where you're coming from.

So there's a difference between a "requirments document" and a detailed
writeup of use cases for individual features. It seems to me that two
documents are required:
A brief end-user oriented document explaining what WF2 is and the
general class of problems it aims to solve (i.e. adding functionality to
web forms without breaking today's browsers). This should then introduce
some of the most important new features (new input types, the repetition
model, etc.) and give sample uses. The second document should be a
longer "best practice" document. This would aim to explain (at a level
appropriate to anyone with a modest knowledge of HTML/DOM) what the new
things are and how to use the them successfully (as well as what not to
do). The important difference between such a document and the spec is
that it should focus on problem solving not on details needed by
implementors. Being shorter than the spec it will be read by many more
people.

Obviously Hixie and the WHATWG are unlikely to be able to write both of
these documents. It would be nice if the first document were written by
the WG and we set a wiki or somesuch up to allow a collaborative attack
on the second.

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs