[whatwg] [html5] 2.6. Phrase elements

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Thu Apr 14 05:59:21 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
> I've added an example.

Ok, so order isn't important.

You want to add a closing DFN tag by the way. (To the example.)

>> * 2.6.12. The kbd element
>>
>> How can this element only be used in strictly inline-level content
>> but sometimes contain inline-level content. That doesn't work.
>
> I'm confused about what you mean here. "inline-level content"
> includes "strictly inline-level content".

Well, the draft states (this is SAMP):

# Contexts in which this element may be used:
#     Where strictly inline-level content is allowed.

So it may only be used in strictly inline-level context, right?

How can otherwise ever apply:

# Content model:
#     When used in an element whose content model is only strictly
#     inline-level content: only strictly inline-level content.
#     Otherwise: any inline-level content.

..?

>> * 2.6.15. The q element
>>
>> It looks like this has the same problem as 2.6.12. (A Q element to
>> contain a BLOCKQUOTE?)
>
> I don't understand the problem. If the person you are quoting was
> themselves quoting a block from elsewhere, where's the problem?

Like

   however, he was of course wrong, as this kind of nesting is actually
   kind a cool, not?</q>

..? It looks terrible imho. Not something you put inline or so.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>