[whatwg] [web-apps] 2.7.8 The i element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Apr 16 04:43:13 PDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Rob Mientjes wrote:

> > Currently I don't have an answer. Should we introduce a <name> element?
>
> Heh. That will make some pedants quite angry.

> How do you visualise that yourself?

Well, it would just be for people, vehicles (ships), that kind of thing. I
wasn't imagining that people would want to use it for technologies.

Would it make sense to allow it for books? I don't know. Maybe the <cite>
element needs a "type" attribute that takes values like "person", "ship",
"publication"? What other names do people want to mark up?

(There clearly is a semantic difference between marking up the name of a
person and the name of a ship. There's a presentational difference, too;
ship names are usually italicised, for instance.)