[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Sat Apr 16 18:58:22 PDT 2005

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I am very hostile towards the idea of requiring UAs to implement any XML
> parsing features that are in the realm of the XML 1.0 spec but that the
> XML 1.0 spec does not require. This means processing the DTD beyond
> checking the internal subset for well-formedness.

That hostility may be justified as far as browser-type UAs go, but I
would rather you didn't apply it to server-side and authoring tools.

> Those who want to use entities for input, should parse and reserialize
> as UTF-8 in their own lair and not expose their entity references (or
> parochial legacy encodings) to the public network.

For those of us writing HTML by hand, this is not a practical solution,
particularly when invisible characters are involved. Invisible characters
aside, I don't want to go digging through a Unicode character map every
time I want → or τ.

~fantasai