[whatwg] XPointer

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 06:17:39 PDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome at opera.com> wrote:
> Also sprach Jim Ley:
> Personally, I'd like to keep the list of requirements to an absolute
> minimum. I do not want to include XPointer on that list, even if it
> starts with an X.

I would to, I don't think requiring XPointer is a necessarily a good
idea, but the reason given that "it's not appropriate for the spec to
require things" is simply misleading and was done from a position of
power to stop debate, rather than as a sensible argument of why it's
not appropriate.

Seen as both Opera and Mozillla already have an XPointer
implementation (or Opera will have as soon as they have a conformant
SVG viewer) I hardly think the requirement is particular onerous one,
and should certainly be discussed on its merits not on simply "it's
not appropriate".

Jim.