[whatwg] Canvas element

Dimitri Glazkov dimitri.glazkov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:40:11 PDT 2005

Oh yeah, I agree on programmable image being quite useful. The
question is why only limit the capability to a special CANVAS element
(whose semantics are questionable), when any block-level element could
have this ability.

The thing is, programmable image is with almost 100% certainty will be
a presentational graphic. And presentational graphic has no place in
markup. Therefore, if you utilize rendering context to create a
dynamic image, you won't necessarily be doing it inside of an IMG (or
CANVAS) element -- the dynamic image will be a presentational graphic
for the content, expressed in markup.

Take your example with eyes and hair, for instance. This is the markup
that I would expect seeing instead of a canvas element (I am
improvising here):

Then the behavior would be attached to span.photorobot to create a
canvas and draw a mug shot.

Oddly enough, I just wrote about this whole graphics and markup thing
this weekend:

http://glazkov.com/blog/archive/2005/04/18/430.aspx

:DG<