[whatwg] Canvas element - Keep It Simple

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 01:26:03 PDT 2005

On 4/24/05, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2005, at 22:16, dolphinling wrote:
>
> > There's one implementation, and one implementation in testing builds.
> > It would also be an easy change to make for those implementations (and
> > they could still keep support for the "old way" if they need).
>
> The release date of Tiger is very near. Safari will ship with canvas.

So?  What's that got to do with the Web Applications Standard?

> Once it is out, you can't pull it back.

It's never been in a published standard, the specification still
states that it's subject to change. I'm very disappointed that the "do
not implement in released software" has been removed without any
discussion on the list of the maturity of the specification, but
that's just the normal high handed approach of the working group.  But
even without that, there's no need to bless a poor implementation
decisison simply because one minority browser has implemented it and
used it solely in non-web content.

If successful shipped implementations is what matters, then there's
lots of successful IE extensions that do the same as canvas and other
elements which it would be much more sensible to go with.

Jim.