[whatwg] text/html flavor conformance checkers and <foo />

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Apr 27 02:42:31 PDT 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 04:13, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:

>>> *Why?* Why of all things would you choose to interpret it like
>>> /that/?
>>> It's neither reporting a useful error, nor handling it per SGML
>>> rules.
>> To make the separation of concerns similar to what it would be on the
>> XML side while being real about SGMLness being fiction. That is, the
>> parser does not need to know if an attribute is allowed. That's a job
>> for a higher layer.
>
> I still don't understand how this interpretation is useful or required.

It is useful, because it doesn't require knowledge of allowable
minimizable attributes on the lowest parser level.

> If you want to make <input checkbox> invalid, handle it the same way
> you'd handle <input foo>.

That's what I am suggesting. The parser would treat <input foo> as
<input foo="foo">, which would be caught on the RELAX NG validation
layer in my diagram.

> Expanding the attribute from checked to checked="checked" is neither
> conforming to SGML parsing rules

ITYM checkbox to checkbox="checkbox".

> nor helping the author understand what was wrong.

Would "Attribute 'checkbox' not allowed here." or something along those
lines be any more incomprehensible that validation errors in general?

> I mean, I understand you're disillusioned with the state of HTML
> parsing in the world, but it doesn't mean you need to be /reactionary/
> about it.

Authors get constantly confused when validator.w3.org feeds them SGML
fiction. Why shouldn't the QA tools be better aligned with reality?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/