[whatwg] Re: HTTP 205 response

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Wed Apr 27 09:58:28 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
> The terminology section says:

Ah, ok.

> Addressed the above points.
>
>    http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#form-submission
>
> Let me know if you can find any other holes! :-)

   ... the document from which the submission initiated (or, if there is a target
   attribute, the document in the appropriate frame or window) is left in place,
   and all the form elements in the document are reset ...

I think it would make more sense to say something more like:

   ... the document in the frame or window targeted by the form submission is
   left in place and all form elements in it are reset ...

This makes it clearer that the form elements are reset in the _target_ document.
  I also think that "document in the frame or window targeted by the form
submission" is clearer than "the document from which the submission initiated
(or, if there is a target attribute, the document in the appropriate frame or
window)".  In fact, it may be even clearer to define the term "target document"
up front in this section and then use it throughout (with links back to the
definition).

> Those cases will be defined in the Web Apps spec in due course, but are
> out of scope of the Web Forms spec. I don't really know where to put the
> note in the WF2 spec; putting it in the middle of the forms submission
> algorithm seems a bit weird (obviously that stuff doesn't apply to things
> other than form submission, it's right in the middle of sections that are
> exclusively about form submission).

Yeah....  Perhaps include a note here anyway indicating that this specification
is not trying to define behavior of 205 responses in cases other than a form
submission?

At this point, though, the spec looks like it would be reasonably
straightforward to implement interoperably.

One other drive-by comment:

   Otherwise, how the UA responds to a response

would be better as:

   Otherwise, how the UA handles a response

-Boris