[whatwg] Re: HTTP 205 response

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:11:50 PDT 2005

On 4/27/05, Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/05, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> > This makes it clearer that the form elements are reset in the _target_ document.
> >  I also think that "document in the frame or window targeted by the form
> > submission" is clearer than "the document from which the submission initiated
>
> What if the document in the target window has changed?  what if the
> document in the target window is in a different domain, what if
> another document with a form in is partially way through being
> rendered in the the other window? What about the situation where 2
> seperate form posts target the same window, one of which sends a
> replace values, the other a reset - which is honoured, what does it
> depend on, the order of submission, the order of recieving, random?

Oh, and the other thing, what's the use case for the 205, I realise
it's mostly tidying up the hinted at HTTP spec, but I'm not really
sure there's much of a use case, especially as you can achieve the
same with a replace post which uses almost the same amount of
bandwidth on typical pages.

I can't think of a single good case where just reseting is
appropriate, a result with no feedback doesn't strike me as useful -
especially when there's replace which can provide the same not
reloading page, but can provide feedback in an output element.

I really think this is complicating the specification without
providing anything of use.

Jim.