[whatwg] Web Applications and 3D

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:21:18 PDT 2005

On 4/28/05, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
>    I've been pondering how someone would have 3D graphics inside a Web
> application using current web standards and some in development (XBL2,
> HTML5, et cetera), and while I have a general idea, I'm not exactly sure
> how it would work.

There are hundreds of millions of browsers that support 3D graphics in
their default configuration, it's been successfully deployed with
implementation experience going back over 6 years.

Please do not re-invent the wheel, but standardise this (or a subset)
functionality.

The supposed motivation of WHAT-WG is compatibility with IE6, VML and
DirectAnimation provide 2D and 3D drawing contexts that are
compatibile with Internet Explorer, use them, or start coming up with
some reasons why not to.

As always, I'm still waiting to hear the use cases for both 2D and 3D
javascript drawing  - "Quake like games" which is the only example
I've heard so far, may be a use case, but it's not yet been explained
why an HTML document is appropriate for such a game.

Jim.