[whatwg] textarea accept attribute -- solution to rich text editing in WF2?

Dimitri Glazkov dimitri.glazkov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:22:30 PDT 2005

> Yes, but note that the UA is not required to perform any validating or
> anything. In practice I doubt we'll ever see useful implementations
> (whereas we already have useful, and used, implementations of the
> contentEditable feature).

Ian, I think the opposite is true, actually. Most of the browser-based
HTML editors that I saw operate by augmenting functionality of a
textarea element, and the accept attribute would work make them fit
perfectly into the WF2 world. Examples:

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/
http://www.fckeditor.net/
http://www.freetextbox.com/

Of course, they do use contentEditable behind the scenes.

:DG<