[whatwg] What exactly is contentEditable for?

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Wed Aug 17 03:08:57 PDT 2005

Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> I'm not disputing the fact that there is an unfortunate demand for
>> embedded WYSIWYG editing in web based CMSs, it is the conceputally
>> broken implementation I'm against.
>

> I don't consider this demand "unfortunate". I consider it an essential
> part of the vision for the web. The "writable web" or "universal canvas"
> or whatever its called, has been a part of the vision from the beginning
> (rumor has it that TBL's very first browser was read/write).

Yup, see screenshots etc c/o
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/WorldWideWeb.html
[[[
The broken X in the "Tim's home page" window means that the document has
been edited and not yet saved. (A "dirty" flag). As a convenience,
pressing Command/Shift/S would save back all modified web pages.
]]]

Dan