[whatwg] Pattern Hint

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 23 16:57:39 PDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> I'm also concerned about pattern mismatches. If a form is invalid the UA
> is supposed to feed back information to help the user complete the form.
>
> http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#form-submission
>
> For most types, pattern mismatches are easy to explain to the user -
> "Please enter a valid time (format HH:MM:SS).". For a complex pattern
> this is more difficult. The UA can't assume that the "title" attribute
> is going to help in this situation so must fall back to a generic
> "Pattern mismatch".

Actually, the way the spec is written now, the UA _can_ assume that the
"title" attribute is going to help. In fact it is encouraged.

Assume that your proposal ("hint") is spelt "title" and implement it like
that. (Including the little button you wanted for "hint"). That is the
intent of the spec at the moment.

> My concern is one of usability. We have provided a mechanism for
> entering complex patterns, we should also provide a mechanism for
> helping end-users enter these patterns.

I agree. But I don't see why the existing mechanisms aren't enough.