[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - Suggestion/Request

Dwight Brown design at construct7.com
Mon Aug 15 08:06:48 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have been reviewing the Web Forms 2.0 specification and really like
the many advancements it outlines.

There is, however, one area in which it appears to overlook: file upload
status.

As a web developer I believe it would be very helpful to have some way
to indicate the progress of file uploads.  There is really only one key
addition for this to be possible: a filesize attribute that is set when
a user has selected a file.  This would simply indicate the total size
in bytes of the selected file.  It would need to be DOM-accessible (e.g.
myform.myfile.filesize).

Many users get anxious and think there browser has hung because the is
not a clear indication that an upload is in progress.

Perhaps eventually we would have UAs that would have UI alerts that
indicated form file upload progress via a progress bar, etc.

Regards,
Dwight Brown